The Secret to Cleaning When You Have Kids
A dirty home is inevitable when you have kids. They’re running or crawling around, spilling food, leaving toys scattered everywhere. Keeping your home clean can be tough for a mom!!
I have a 9 month old son who just learned how to crawl, a mastiff and a husky who sheds a TON!
Add them all up and you have one big mess! So, why don’t I just clean everything and be done with it? Well, because teething, that’s why! Every time I think I’ll finally get 30 minutes to finish cleaning a room or doing laundry, duty calls (fussing baby). How in the world can I keep my home clean and still be there for my baby boy?
Well, I’ve figured out the secret to cleaning when you have kids.
Two words…SPEED CLEANING! This is a term I have never heard of until recently. Basically, you set a timer and clean as fast as you can for that amount of time, and guess what? It really works!
Seriously, how fast do you clean up when you know someone is coming over? Fast! That’s why this system works so well. If you don’t have an incentive to clean fast, then you won’t get much cleaning done in a short amount of time.
This system isn’t just for moms with young kids, kids of all ages. We spend so much time cleaning as a mom. Why not speed clean so you can have an extra 30 minutes to read or play outside with your kids?
How to Speed Clean:
1. Gather all of the cleaning supplies you’ll need.
Examples: trash bags, gloves, cleaners, rags, mop.
2. Set a timer for 10 to 15 minutes for bathrooms, kitchen, etc. or 30-50 minutes for bigger areas such as multiple bedrooms or the whole house!
3. Press GO and clean as fast as you can!
Once the timer goes off you can stop. You probably got a lot more done than you thought, right?
Here are a few other cleaning tips:
- Feel free to adjust your timer to best fit you and how fast you want to clean. Everyone is different but still try and challenge yourself!
- Try sticking to one project to speed clean. You’ll feel so accomplished after you’re done with one. If have time to squeeze another 10 minute speed cleaning in the evening, go for it! That’s what I do.
- Try speed cleaning a room that you don’t clean every day. I try and clean the kitchen every day but, by doing this I can never get to any of the other rooms I need to clean. I’ll choose to speed clean the living room first then get to the kitchen later on in the day for my second speed clean.
- Clean as you go when it comes to the kitchen. Clean up while you’re cooking to avoid build up and having to do a speed clean here.
- Clean the most necessary things first such as the toilet when you are cleaning the bathroom. That way, if you run out of time you’ll have those important things cleaned!
- Don’t stress out if you didn’t finish cleaning the whole room. There is always tomorrow. Enjoy your time with your kids. The world won’t end if you’re home isn’t spotless!!
Check out my other blog post about 9 ways to make your home look clean in a hurry!
Let me know how this method works out for you! Did it make a difference in how fast you got it done?