*This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.*
12 Unique Ways to Save Money at the Grocery Store *No Coupons*
Doesn’t that price on the register make you cringe every time you checkout at the grocery store? Before I started using these unique ways to save money at the grocery store, I was always puzzled when the cashier told me what my total was. I didn’t think I bought that many things to rack the price up so high. This happened every time I went shopping!
I would impulse buy yummy snacks, only buy name brand foods, buy prepackaged things because of their convenience. Well, I hate to tell you but those little things we all do ADD UP when grocery store shopping. Going to the grocery store and spending money is inevitable but, there are tons of ways you can save on the items that you need.
My list doesn’t include using coupons.
I always receive coupons in the mail and at the store but when it comes time to actually go to the grocery store, I NEVER use them! Call me crazy but that’s just how I am. Couponing isn’t for everyone.
I’ve made a list of 12 unique ways to save money at the grocery store.
Some of my suggestions might not work for you and your family but, they WILL save you money so I would challenge yourself to try them! It’s worth a shot to get some money back into your pocket, right?!
1. Use Milk or Heavy Cream for Coffee – Don’t Buy Flavored Coffee Creamers
– Buying those yummy mocha flavored creamers taste good but, they can really be hard on your wallet, especially if you need to buy multiple to get you through the week. Stick with the basics!
2. Drink Water, Tea, or Add Lemon to your Water – Don’t Buy Soda
– This can be such a deal breaker for most people since majority of us drink soda daily. I hate to say it but, soda is a huge waste of money and pretty unhealthy. I use to drink tons of soda as a teen and slowly started cutting it out. I never buy soda at the store anymore. It’s good for my wallet and my health!
3. Buy Popcorn Kernels and Pop your own Popcorn – Don’t Buy Chips
– This one is really hard for me because I love greasy, salty chips! Chips are expensive these days. Do you really NEED them? Try popping your own popcorn for a cheaper, healthier snack that is still so addictive! I pop my own in a popcorn popper and use coconut oil, salt, and a little butter. Yum!
4. Use a Water Filter or a Water Delivery Service – Don’t Buy Water Bottles
-Buying water bottles can really add up, especially for a large family. They are also bad for our planet. Consider buying a refillable water filter to keep in your fridge. You can also use a water service and have 5 gallon jugs delivered monthly. That’s what I do.
5. Use your Dishes and Rags – Don’t Buy Paper Plates and Paper Towels
– Paper plates are so convenient but they are just a luxury, you don’t really NEED them. Use the plates you have rinse them after you use them. You can also skip on paper towels and just use dish rags or even try making your own reusable paper towels. There are some great tutorials on Pinterest for making reusable paper towels.
6. Buy Fresh Herb Plants – Don’t Buy Dried Herbs
– Buying fresh plants to keep by your kitchen window can not only save you money but add amazing flavors to your food!
7. Use Reusable Containers – Don’t Buy Plastic Bags
– Plastic bags are another little thing that really adds up. Save your money and invest in some reusable containers in a few different sizes.
8. Buy Fresh Lettuce, Fruit, Cheese, etc. – Don’t Buy Prepackaged Items
-It might take a little extra time do shred your own lettuce and cheese or chop up your fruit but, it’s something that is very simple to do and will save you money every time.
9. Stick to your List – Don’t Impulse Buy
-Make a list and stick to it. Challenge yourself to not buy anything that’s not on your list, even at the checkout aisle!!
10. Buy Off Brand Items – Don’t Stick with Popular Brands
-Off brand items can be just as good as popular brands so just check prices before you buy.
11. Look at Different Sized Items for What you’re Buying
– I recently needed to buy chili powder and wanted to buy the biggest container the store had so I could save money since I use it so much. Well, I calculated the prices of the large size and medium size and it actually came out to be cheaper if I bought 2 medium sized containers instead of the large size. Check the prices and sizes before you buy.
12. Make your own Bread – Don’t Buy Bread
– I have’t tried this one yet but it’s on my list of things to do! Buy the ingredients for a simple bread recipe and try making it! It tastes better than store bought bread and it saves you money!
There are tons of different ways to save you money while grocery shopping, what’s your favorite way?
Check out my other blog post on 6 ways to save money on your cable/internet bill for more ways to save!