*This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.*
The weather is warming up, the nights are getting longer, the smell of bbq is starting to fill the air. It’s GRILLING SEASON ladies and gentlemen! Memorial Day is coming up and you’re probably trying to make some plans with family to celebrate. A bbq is always a go to celebration. Forget the same old boring bbq and I’ll show you how to slay a summer family bbq!
Hamburgers and hotdogs are great for bbq’s but why not ditch the tradition menu and spice things up and have some fun to make this family bbq unforgettable! I’ll give you some awesome menu ideas, unique decor ideas, fun games and more! Are you ready to start planning?
1. Mexican street tacos + all the works!
Most grocery stores sell premartinated carne asada and pollo asada or you could marinate your own!
Set up a taco station with the following:
- Tortillas warmed
- Beef/chicken chopped
- Lettuce or cabbage shredded
- Onions diced
- Pico de Gallo
- Pineapples grilled and chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce/salsa
- Mexican cheese shredded
- Corn on the cob grilled and seasoned (Mexican corn)
- Refried beans
- Mexican rice
- Chips & salsa
Add some party lights to an umbrella to make dinner magical!
2. Grilled brats & Italian sausages
Get some bratwurst and Italian sausages from mild to hot + all the fixings!
Set up a station for serving the following:
- Brats, mild & hot Italian sausages
- Yellow onions & bell peppers sliced and sautéed in butter until soft and caramelized
- Jalapeno diced
- Cheddar cheese shredded
- My Classic Pasta Salad would go great with this dish
- Baked beans
- Cole slaw
- Potato salad
- Garlic mashed potatoes
- Green beans
- Egg salad
3. Grilled Hawaiian Steak/Chicken Kebabs
Make some super easy Hawaiian kebabs that your guests will love! Set up kebabs on a large platter for serving.
How to make the kebabs:
- Steak cut into 1 inch cubes
- Chicken cut into 1 inch cubes
- Red onion diced into 1 inch pieces
- Bell peppers (any color) diced into 1 inch pieces
- Pineapple canned chunks or dice your own into 1 inch chunks
- Slide onto skewers and brush with teriyaki sauce
- Grill until charred and cooked through
- Macaroni salad
- White rice
- Spam musubi
- Mixed green salad
- Sweet potatoes
- Creamed corn
- Fruit salad
- Serve lemonade with sliced strawberries & mint leafs + you can add some booze to it for the adults!
- Serve ice cold punch for the kids
Serve the lemonade and punch in these gorgeous 1 gallon mason jars!
Use tin cans for utensils and even for centerpieces filled with sunflowers on the tables.
- Boozy watermelon – Cut a small hole in the watermelon big enough for a vodka bottle neck to fit. Stick the bottle into the hole and let the booze pour out. Once it’s finished refrigerate for an hour and slice to serve
- My recipe for chocolate dessert skewers would be perfect for this!
- S’mores bar – Set up everything you need for s’mores along with some skewers for marshmallow roasting!
Here’s what you can add to your s’mores bar:
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate graham crackers
- Hershey”s chocolate bars
- Hershey’s cookies and cream bars
- Reeses peanut butter cups
Now you can’t forget the most important part, LAWN GAMES!! You just wouldn’t slay a summer family bbq without epic, giant lawn games. Check these out!
Last but not least, a parting gift! Give your guests a couple sparklers tied with a cute ribbon. I mean, who doesn’t love sparklers?
I hope you enjoyed my ideas on how to slay a summer family bbq. Good luck and enjoy your party!!